Thursday, January 13, 2005

SOUTH DAKOTA: QUAKER STATE?

You know troop morale is low when an estimated 5,500 soldiers have deserted the Army and fled to Canada rather than fight in Iraq.

But morale is really in the toilet when a kid from South Dakota deserts the 82nd Airborne:

"This is a criminal war and any act of violence in an unjustified conflict is an atrocity. I signed a contract for four years, and I was totally willing to fulfil it. Just not in combat arms jobs. *** I was told in basic training that if I'm given an illegal or immoral order, it is my duty to disobey it. I feel that invading and occupying Iraq is an illegal and immoral thing to do."

I wonder if he is reconsidering his position now that Bush has given up on the search for WMDs.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive