Most voters won't have a chance to send a signal to Emanuel anytime soon. But, in Illinois's 6th Congressional District, Democratic primary voters will have a chance to choose on Tuesday between the DCCC chair's handpicked candidate, Tammy Duckworth, who does not live in the district, and grassroots Democrat Christine Cegelis, who lives in the district and who stunned analysts by winning almost 45 percent of the vote as the Democratic nominee in 2004.It's time for 6th District Democrats -- ALL Democrats -- to take a stand.
Duckworth, an Iraq veteran, has a compelling personal story, but she has refused to endorse a clear timetable for bringing the troops home. Cegelis supports a timetable, saying, "I have opposed this war from the start. But revisiting what brought us to this disastrous point does not solve the problem. It is time for us to bring our troops home." Cegelis explains that: "The failures of this war must prevent the United States from making similar mistakes in the future. And the only way we can make sure that lesson is learned is to elect leaders who understand that lesson."
After Thursday night's vote in the House, [i.e., he House approved a $91.9 billion supplemental spending bill, with the lion's share of the new funding earmarked for the Iraq quagmire] it is more evident than ever that the inability to understand that lesson is not merely a Republican infirmity. And it is equally evident that the appropriate response to the crisis will require voters, not just in Illinois but nationwide, to follow their own good judgment – as opposed to the dictates of Democratic "leaders" in Washington.
That's the message of the new group Vote for Peace, which is asking voters to take a pledge before they go to the polls: "I will not vote for or support any candidate for Congress or President who does not make a speedy end to the war in Iraq, and preventing any future war of aggression, a public position in his or her campaign."
Friday, March 17, 2006
The Nation: Cegelis Understands the Lessons of Iraq
From the Nation:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- People in Class Houses
- The People, Yes
- 11th Hour 6th District Reviews
- The Nation: Cegelis Understands the Lessons of Ira...
- "Find Out What It Means To Me..."
- These Boots ARE Made For Walkin'
- 6th District Candidates Differ on Bush's Tax Cuts ...
- "Christine Cegelis : Hitting Her Stride"
- Peter LaBarbera: Bathhouse Sex With HIV Positive G...
- "Stand Up to the Beltway Democrats"
- All Aboard!
- Six, Six, Six,
- While 5,000 American Women Die of Cervical Cancer ...
- "Bush without the charm"
- Mr. 18% in DuPage
- "The president has broken the law and he must be h...
- "When I actually do something, we'll let you know....
- Bloodbath and Bank Accounts
- You know, I'll bet more people see THAT than the p...
- "Cegelis v. The Machine"
- jux·ta·pose -- to place side by side, especially f...
- Patriot Action for Civil Liberties
- ▼ March (22)
- ► 2005 (555)