The Honorable Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert
235 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Your decision today to accept full responsibility for the inaction of the House to protect the Pages for the United States House of Representatives is long overdue. Mark Foley’s actions are inexcusable and everyone involved should be accountable for his or her actions. We have, however, been deeply troubled in recent days to hear voices in the Republican Party publicly scapegoat gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans for this inappropriate and immoral conduct.
This is not a gay or straight issue; it is an issue of inappropriate behavior that regardless of one’s sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other characteristic is dead wrong.
We whole-heartedly support a full investigation into this matter. However, as this investigation moves forward we call on you to ensure the focus remain on those things important to this matter and not allow extremists within your own party to try and divert attention by furthering their anti-gay agendas.
Gay Americans have watched this scandal unfold like everyone else, but unlike other Americans, we have found ourselves targeted once again by extremists in the Republican Party trying to shift responsibility. Members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community are part of the fabric of our country and to demonize them in the name of politics is disgraceful.
Mr. Speaker, when extremists in your party go on national television and assert claims that a person’s sexual orientation is responsible for immoral and inappropriate conduct, it sends a clear signal to the American people that they are more interested in pushing their anti-gay agenda than they are in holding our elected officials accountable.
Ultimately, this matter is about responsibility and accountability at the highest levels of our government. The American people expect those two words to continue to resonate in Washington. Attempts to shift blame are a disservice to our democracy.
We watched your announcement today with hope that moving forward we will see focus placed on the real issues at hand. If we are ever going to restore the American people’s faith in government and in our elected officials, it falls to you to ensure that this process not be hijacked by anti-gay partisans more interested in their own selfish agendas than doing what is right for our country.
Human Rights Campaign
Thursday, October 05, 2006
HRC: We Won't Be the GOP's Scapegoats
Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender rights organization, sent the following letter today to Speaker Dennis Hastert after his press conference on the Mark Foley scandal:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- No Way to Treat a Lady
- GOTV ASAP
- Sun-Times to Journalism: We Quit.
- This Does Not Inspire Confidence -- Updated (2X)
- "We're Ashamed the President of the United States ...
- Rep. Hyde: "I heard a dear friend of mine, a great...
- You Can Help Make the 6th District Race a Grassroo...
- "If At First You Don't Succeed -- Try and Try and ...
- It's a Punchin' Kinda Face
- Hastert's Congress: Incompetent, Lazy and Corrupt
- A Tribute to the Speaker
- Letter to 6th District from Wheaton
- Misery, Senate Race
- Sun-Times: Quinn '07
- Stop the GOP Misleadership in Washington
- Right-Wing Cartoonist Accuses Speaker Hastert of C...
- The '06 Choice: Right-Wing or Conservative
- GOP Chickens Coming Home to Roost
- Democratic Tactical Victories Require a Democratic...
- Daily Herald Rejects Roskam, Endorses Duckworth
- Does Absence Make the House Ethics Commitee Grow F...
- The Hastert/Foley Scandal - You Can't Spell "Timel...
- God Bless America
- 6th District Race: Close Enough to Steal?
- Sweet Blog Scoop: House members to ask past and pr...
- Hastert Scandal: Boys 'n' LaHood
- The New Republic: Denny's Deal is Worse than Foley...
- Et Tu, Pete?
- HRC: We Won't Be the GOP's Scapegoats
- Meanwhile, in the 6th District
- Hastert: George Soros Ate My Homework
- WGN on Statement from Hastert's Office: A "Flat Ou...
- I Like Them Odds!
- Obama: Denny Should Be Stripped
- How Will We Break the News to Tom Roeser?
- Fox News: If you can't spin it, just lie.
- And I Believe I'll Have Another Drink.
- The Other Republican Perversion
- NRCC or NAMBLA: Did 100K Buy GOP Silence for Sex ...
- "Alright -- Now hit the showers"
- Roskam's Task: Defending the Indefensible
- I've Heard the Cubs are Hiring...
- Teenage Girl President
- Maybe We're Overthinking This
- Candidates: Don't Forget...
- Is Anyone This Creepy?
- You're Doing a Heck of a Job, Denny!
- GOP Abuse of Power Goes Back Years
- Rich Miller: Illinois Media Chokes on the Big Sto...
- GOP: Guard Our Pedophiles
- Let History Be Your Guide
- ▼ October (51)
- ► 2005 (555)